chicken paprikash

Harry Burns: Repeat after me. Pepper.
Sally Albright: Pepper.
Harry Burns: Pepper.
Sally Albright: Pepper.
Harry Burns: Waiter, there is too much pepper on my paprikash.
Sally Albright: Waiter, there is too much pepper on my paprikash.
Harry Burns: But I would be proud to partake of your pecan pie.

so i have always loved this line from when harry met sally but never had made paprikash.. so i decided to tonight.. umm hello are you kidding me.. i love paprika what made me wait 25 years to make this is beyond me!!



prep time: 20 minutes
cooking time: 60 minutes
servings:  6

ingredients:

2 lbs chicken thighs (we used boneless/skinless)
1 1/2 pounds, chicken drumsticks
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic , chopped
salt and pepper to taste
2 heaping tblsp. smoky paprika
2 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup sour cream
olive oil
3 tblsp. butter



season chicken with salt and pepper.  2 twirls around the pot with olive oil, over medium high heat.  brown all pieces of chicken, your going to have to do it in batches..turn as needed.. do not over crowd the pan or it will not brown.. when browned (it won't be cooked all the way through) remove chicken and set aside.  in the same pot add butter and onion.  saute over medium heat until tender.  add garlic and saute for another 2 minutes.. stir in paprika.. cook in pot for about 2-3 minutes (this is called blooming the spice)  add broth.. deglaze the plan and bring to a boil.. add chicken.. cover pot and reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.. (1/2 way through turn the chicken so each side will have been submerged in this amazing red sauce..) after 45 minutes take a small bowl and add the sour cream.. remove a ladle of the liquid from pot and add to sour cream.. whisk until smooth and add back to pot and stir well.. cook for another 5 minutes.. serve over rice or noodles.. since we are low carbing i served over celery root puree (recipe found here).. and I have to say I can't imagine it with anything else .. it was amazing.. i literally licked my plate.. ha ha well not really but i was about too..

Comments

  1. I fixed this the other night and it was wonderful. Problem was I didn't fix enough for leftovers..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts