take my word for it wednesday.. this green chile casserole was my grandparents favorite..

 

several years ago.. probably 15 or so my grandma {aka grandmommy} fell and hurt her back, so i would make their meals and take them over once a week when i would go visit..she healed from that injury but then eventually a few years later i was back to making their meals for the week up until they passed away.. of all the dishes i made for the 10 or so years i cooked for them one of their favorites was green chile casserole.. my grandpa {aka pop} would ask for it each week.. i tried to change things up and bring them a variety of dishes but no matter what they always liked this casserole.. it's so simple.. i mean really simple.. but it's very flavorful!! and i love it because it reminds me of them..


green chile casserole

prep time: 15 minutes
cooking time: 30-40 minutes
servings: 4

ingredients:

1 cup diced green chiles { i used my roasted hatch green chiles my friend randi gave me} or Two 4 oz. cans of diced green chilis
2 cups cheese {my grandparents liked cheddar but i like to do a combo of 1/2 sharp cheddar and 1/2 monterrey jack}
6 eggs, slightly beaten
2.5 cups milk
1/2 cup corn meal
salt

directions:

pre heat oven to 350 degrees.. spray your casserole dish with pam.. in a medium mixing bowl combine chiles and cheese.. spread out over the bottom of the casserole dish.. now whisk together  eggs, milk, corn meal and salt.. pour over the cheese and chiles.. bake 30-40 minutes or until bubbling and the eggs are cooked through.. use your cake pick and test if it comes out clean they are ready.. slice and serve.. we like it for breakfast with a few slices of fresh tomato..

enjoy and get cook'n!!

Comments

Popular Posts