take my word for it wednesday.. i was wrong and my mom was right.. brussel sprouts are good..





accckkk that was hard to say.. ha.. kinda tasted like vinegar.. kidding.. but truth is i was wayy wrong.. growing up my mom and brother loved brussel, however i had a differing opinion.. i thought they were the devils work.. in our house we always had to have a "brownie" bite of everything on your plate and on the nights we were having brussel sprouts i would cringe.. knowing i had to take that one bite.. gagging.. pretending to be sick usually was involved.. you would think my mom would have given up.. but no.. so i got creative.. i would put them in my pocket or in my mouth and ask to be excused...(yes we had to ask to be excused from the table.. whatever happened to things like that??) well anyway when i moved out and started cooking my own meals.. let me tell you brussel sprouts were never mentioned, thought about or discussed on my menu.. and pete was just fine and dandy with that.. then i got a bag of them in my bountiful basket.. blah what to do with these hideous things.. so i gave them to my brother and his wife.. then about 4 months ago they showed up in my bountiful basket again.. (now i feel like they are taunting me) and not to be intimidated by a vegetable i decided to make some (never in my life had i made them or thought to make them or wanted to make them) but i did and guess what they weren't gross.. they didn't kill me.. they didn't make me want to curl up in the corner and sway back and forth... they actually were tasty.. kinda addicting.. ohh lawd what has this world come to i might actually like brussel sprouts and have to consede to my mother she was right all these years? i wasn't quite ready for that.. so i had to try them again and low and behold each time i've made them they get better and better.. so far i've only simply roasted them in the oven with salt, pepper and olive oil.. but next time i might try cooking them with bacon and garlic ohh and maybe some balsamic vinegar.. *sigh*i can now say LOUD and PROUD I LIKE BRUSSEL SPROUTS!! ok back to our regular programing.. :)


roasted brussel sprouts

prep time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 30 minutes
servings: 4

ingredients:

2 pints brussel sprouts, trimmed and halved
course salt and fresh ground black pepper
olive oil

preheat your oven to 425 degrees (f).. trim and half your sprouts.. lay even on a foil lined baking sheet.. sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.. (not to much) kinda push them around with your hands to make sure they are evenly coated.. put in the oven and cook for about 30 minutes you want the brussel sprouts tender and caramelized (the little leaves that fall off and get crispy are amazing!!)

Comments

Popular Posts